Sunday, August 18, 2013

Temptation

     I had difficulty bringing this blog post together, but I resisted the temptation to just skip on the idea and wait until next weekend to write a post.  
     I also resisted the temptation to quit during yesterday's trail race!  It's coming up on one year since I started doing 5k and other races.  The only other race I even considered quitting was the 23k in March, due to IT band (knee) pain.  (But I resisted the temptation then). Yesterday was different though.  My feet and knees felt great!  I'm not sure how to describe the temptation to quit...maybe it was low blood sugar, maybe my immune system is under siege from a recent infestation of tick and chigger bites.  Either way, I seriously thought I might not finish this race.  I did learn at the Badasstraildash to always have a little something stashed for a boost of energy.  My fruit leather (healthy fruit roll up) and almonds were put into action, but the problem is, I felt the need to eat them 1.5 miles into a 7 mile trailrace!  How on earth was I going to make it 7 miles in the middle of nowhere!  There was only one aid station and that was at mile four! This is where I resisted the temptation to quit!
Look at that bench, beckoning me!  There were no other benches along the rest of the trail.  Why was it here, out in the middle of nowhere?  I think God put it there.  He wanted me to put my trust in him, not my water belt or my fancy fruit roll up.  When I made the decision to continue on, I knew I was totally leaning on Him.  I truly believe that, but I still argued with myself, knowing my only other chance to stop would be at the four mile mark, the only aid station for this race.  As I continued to struggle with energy, or lack of, I began to wonder if they would still be at the aid station when I arrived.  I knew I HAD to make a decision about continuing for three more miles, unsupported, at the aid station.  God knew what I needed.  When I reached the aid station, I was greeted with encouragement, plenty of fresh water to refill my belt pack and HEED electrolyte drink.  Temptation stares at me again.  Stop here and admit defeat, or rest a few minutes and GO FOR IT!  I'm still feeling like my feet and legs can do it, but my inner energy has doubts.  I knew I couldn't do it without divine intervention.  It was different at the LBL race, because there were SO many chances to stop.  I could tell myself, "if you just make it to the next station, then we'll see how you feel".  Once I left this aid station, I had to be committed to the finish.  So me and God hiked the rest of this portion of the Millenium Trail, to finish the Bernheim 7 miler.  And with Bobby waiting for me at the finish line, I'm so glad I resisted the temptation to quit! Psalms 40

2 comments:

  1. My husband always likes to say "Endeavor to Persevere". Great job in finishing a tough little race. You endeavored to persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's looking like the ticks may have been the culprit:( waiting on repeat bloodwork to confirm rocky mountain spotted tick fever:(

    ReplyDelete