Sunday, August 4, 2013

Running Community

    There are many areas in our nation that are considered "running communities".  I automatically think of Colorado, or maybe California, even Oregon or Washington.  I'm sure there are many great communities near our state and national parks that cater to runners, hikers, and various outdoor enthusiasts.  Even the most recent issue of trail runner magazine has an article on "top trail towns" (watch out Lynchburg, I see a visit in out future!)
     I didn't see any western kentucky towns listed in that article, but you could've have fooled me Friday night, if you informed me Fancy Farm KY wasn't listed!  The Fancy Farm 5k (my first in its 32 year history) felt more like a street party than a 5k running event!  I've done several 5k's, a 10k, and a 23k, but the spectator gallery at Fancy Farm was incredible!  I did have my personal best time, by only a few seconds, but I will continue to strive to break that 45 minute mark! (Haters don't hate, I'm old, and have improved my 5k time in the last year by 10 minutes, I'm getting there!)  
     Here's a pic of me with my nephew Zach and friend Sharon Downs, before the race.
Here's a picture of Tammy and Blair Terry and Sharon after the race.  Both of these ladies did a fantastic job!  Keep up the good work girls!
And I do want to give a shout out to Grand Rivers KY.  Their little village comes out full force in March of each year for the LBL trail races!  I'm looking forward to reporting on that race, for 2014, with a better time at the 23k.  Meanwhile, next is a pic of me at the end of this year's 23k.  I not only want to finish with a better time, but less pain, too!!

So come on West Kentucky, (heck, the whole quad state region) lets become a running community!

No comments:

Post a Comment